Skip to content

How a change in circumstances affects my benefits

A change in your marital or Civil Partnership status can often lead to a change in the identity of the person(s) you wish nominate as a beneficiary (or beneficiaries) of any lump sum benefits payable on your death. You can update who you wish the Trustee to consider receiving some or all of any lump sum payable either online via MyPension or by completing an Expression of Wish Form, which you can download from the Document library.

Please be aware that as part of the process for divorce or dissolution of a Civil Partnership the Courts consider pension benefits in the calculation of the value of joint assets. This can sometimes lead to the Court issuing a pension sharing order and awarding a share of the pension you are receiving to your ex-Spouse or ex-registered Civil Partner. For further information please refer to the Divorce Guide which can download from the Document library.